Accepting 2021-2022 applications Online Application Portal
Submit all materials through the online application portal:
Application form: Complete the application through the Online Application Portal. If you are applying for a NEH Postdoctoral Fellowship, a Postdoctoral Fellowship, or a Dissertation Fellowship, your application may be considered for other eligible fellowship categories in the event that your proposal is not accepted in your preferred category.
- NEH Postdoctoral applications are eligible for the Postdoctoral and Short-Term fellowship categories.
- Postdoctoral applications are eligible for the Short-Term fellowship category.
- Dissertation applications are eligible for the Short-Term fellowship category.
Essay: Upload an application essay of no more than 1,500 words in PDF format that provides a concise overview of the project. Address the following questions:
- What ideas, questions, or problems guide your project?
- What is distinctive about your project? How does it complement, expand, or challenge prior study in the field? Please be specific about prior scholarship that informs your work.
- What work do you plan to undertake at Winterthur? Why is a residence fellowship at Winterthur necessary for successful completion of your project?
Bibliography: Based on your searches of WinterCat and the Museum Collection Digital Database, prepare a two-page bibliography of primary sources (museum or library collections) you plan to use at Winterthur. If you wish to examine museum objects or specimens in our garden collection, please indicate so on your bibliography.
Vita: Upload a copy of your current vita in PDF format.
References: Through the online portal, request two letters of reference addressing your scholarly record, your current project, and your ability to work with a collegial group. If you are applying for a Dissertation Fellowship, one of these letters must come from your dissertation advisor.
Work Samples (Maker-Creator Applicants Only):
Provide the following work samples:
- Portfolio of 5-10 high-res images or videos of your work (JPG, JPEG, MP3, MP4, YouTube, Vimeo only) OR
- For writers, a writing sample of current or previous work (ex. play and video scripts; prose and poetry; works of non-fiction, etc.), not to exceed 20 pages in length (PDF only).
- You are strongly encouraged to include any relevant reviews of your work by professional critics (PDF or web address) and all relevant web addresses for samples that can be viewed on the web.
- Mailed work samples will not be accepted.
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
The deadline for all research fellowship applications is January 15. Notice of acceptance is sent by April 1.
"My experience at Winterthur exceeded all my expectations. The program fosters a rare combination of rigorous scholarly investigation within a friendly and supportive environment. I was particularly surprised by the extent to which the fellowship program staff and librarians went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to support our research." -Amy C. Wallace, Ph.D. Candidate, University of Toronto, 2015-2016 Fellow
Photo courtesy, Winterthur Museum, photograph by Jim Schneck.