JOB TITLE: Natural Lands Stewardship Intern
The Natural Lands Stewardship Intern will learn about and gain experience implementing proper land management practices while working closely with natural lands staff to preserve and maintain Winterthur’s meadows, woodlands, waterways, and wildlife.
1. Natural Lands Maintenance: Assist with environmental projects in fields, woods, and streams and ponds, including management of wildlife and livestock. Activities will include removing invasive plants, maintaining trails, monitoring bird populations, and caring for Winterthur’s herd of goats.
2. Land Stewardship: Develop an awareness of the principles of conservation, environmental management, and land stewardship and how they shape Winterthur’s philosophy towards land management practices.
3. Equipment Maintenance: Learn proper cleaning, sharpening, maintenance, and storage of job-related equipment.
4. Land Resource Evaluation & Inventory: Document existing resources and explore new ones.
5. Continuing Education: Participate in a variety of trainings, plant identification classes, and field trips in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the wider field of public horticulture.
Minimum Experience: Three months of practical, hands-on experience in environmental science, horticulture, or a related field.
Preferred Experience: One year of practical, hands-on experience in environmental science or horticulture, with some time devoted to natural lands stewardship.
Minimum Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with one semester of completed coursework in environmental science, horticulture, or a related field.
Preferred Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with two years of completed coursework in environmental science, horticulture, or a related field, with at least one semester of study in natural lands stewardship.
1. Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
2. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
3. Ability to operate hand tools and power equipment safely (training provided).
4. Exposure to inclement weather, insects, poison ivy, and pesticides (personal safety training provided).
This is a paid internship. In addition, housing is provided on the property.
The deadline for application is April 3, 2020.