JOB TITLE: Librarian, Technical Services
The Winterthur Library seeks an experienced, creative, and collaborative librarian to lead its Technical Services initiatives. The Librarian for Technical Services is responsible for maintaining intellectual access through electronic records to materials in the Printed Book and Periodical Collection via the integrated library system. In collaboration with the supervisor, the Assistant Librarian is responsible for the planning and supervision of all technical services operations within PBP, original cataloging for PBP materials, and digital projects in PBP. As a team player in the library department, they will assist with staffing the reference desk and perform other duties and special projects as needed. This position reports to the Director of the Library and NEH Librarian for Printed Books and Periodicals.
- Access and Discovery – Primary responsibility for cataloging activities within PBP, ensuring that activities adhere to best practices and national standards; will keep apprised of developments in these areas, and facilitate ongoing continuing education for staff in the unit; will work with library director and other staff to establish processing and cataloging priorities.
- Collection Management – Responsible for space planning for onsite storage of PBP collection; leads efforts to examine future storage needs for the collections.
- Instruction and Outreach– Will be an enthusiastic promoter of using primary source materials in the classroom, and will work with other Special Collections staff and faculty on developing primary source literacy among students.
- Public Service– will have regular hours at the reference desk and will work alongside colleagues in assisting students, faculty, fellows, and scholars with the discovery of appropriate resources for their research needs.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals with diverse backgrounds, opinions, and orientations.
- Excellent knowledge of current cataloging standards, AACR2, MARC, LCSH, and OCLC systems and functions
- Familiarity with non-MARC metadata schemes
- Good knowledge of rare book cataloging and cataloging special formats
- Ability to manage change
- Detail-oriented, organized, outstanding interpersonal & communication skills, ability to prioritize competing tasks.
- Ability to actively engage in outreach activities within Winterthur and the greater community toward the goal of promoting the collections
- Strong customer service orientation
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Library Science, 2 years professional library experience, preferably in an academic or special library, including cataloging experience and experience using an integrated library system
Preferred Qualifications: : In addition to above, a BA in subject area: American history, art history, or related field
Application: To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com Please reference Job #1240 – Librarian in the subject line.
This is a full time, hourly, non-exempt, benefits eligible position compensated at $45-50,000 per year