Winterthur welcomes families! Spend special time together as you explore the museum and the garden at your own pace. Discover the delights that await you around every corner, and return again and again as your children grow. Join now for a special discounted family membership offer, good through 10/21/19.
View the Calendar of Events to see a schedule of special family programs.
Stretch your legs and your imaginations! Explore the 60 acres of delightful naturalistic garden created and envisioned by the museum’s founder Henry Francis du Pont. You’ll be sure to find special spots that delight each member of your family in any season. Take a stroll along the garden and woodland paths or take a narrated tram ride. While you munch on your picnic, spy chipmunks, birds, and other wildlife.
- Borrow an educational backpack and enjoy the magical Enchanted Woods, but don’t stop there!
- Listen for frogs by the Reflecting Pool.
- Visit the koi in the Glade.
- Ramble through Azalea Woods.
- Play hide-and-seek in the Pinetum.
Garden trams and the museum shuttle bus are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
We have several different types of spaces for you and your family to experience indoors.
- Have a pretend tea party or play in the general store in the Touch-It Room.
- Pick up a Preschool Pack on your way to visit the Galleries.
- On Saturdays a Hands On History Cart is available to help visitors of all ages explore themes related to special exhibitions.
All tours of the house require reservations and are presented by guides who are happy to engage visitors of all ages. In many cases, babies and strollers are welcome! Children age eight and older will also enjoy a broad range of in-depth tours.
- The Introductory Tour unveils H. F. du Pont’s home and collection.
- Experience the Time Traveler's Tour, designed especially for children ages 4–11 and their families (available daily March through October at 12:30 pm.).
- Enjoy a Yuletide or other seasonal tour.
These programs are made possible, in part, by the F.M. Kirby Foundation; Bank of America Foundation; The Max & Victoria Dreyfus Foundation, Inc.; and the Dow Chemical Company Foundation; a grant from the Delaware Division of the Arts, a state agency, in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts. The Division promotes Delaware arts events on www.DelawareScene.com.