Drop in for experiments and activities. Included with admission. Free for Winterthur and DMNH members.
Trails and Trailblazers, June 5
Celebrate National Trails Day by exploring the trails and paths that crisscross the estate.
- Explore local hiking and paddling opportunities with the Wilmington Trail Club.
- Learn something new as staff from The Delaware Museum of Natural History reveal the secrets of scat.
- Enjoy Storytime for Curious Kids, The Whale and the Snail by Julia Donaldson, at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm.
- Take a short walk to explore Andrew Wyeth’s eye for the Brandywine Valley landscape at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm.
- Chat with W. Barksdale Maynard about his recent book, Artists of Wyeth Country, which features six tours for walking or driving that include Wyeth hotspots in nearby Chadds Ford, PA.
- See some pioneering papers presented by Joan Irving, paper conservator.
- Make something interesting—decorate a kid-sized walking stick, try out some trail mix, and cozy up to cartography.
Learn why Newfoundland dogs are the perfect companion for any trek from members of the New-Pen-Del Newfoundland Club.
Child’s Play, August 7
Games, crafts, and activities help kids discover why play is important to children, both human and animal.