Position Title: Book Review Editor
Winterthur seeks a part-time, temporary book review editor to support the peer-reviewed academic journal, Winterthur Portfolio. Winterthur Portfolio is an interdisciplinary journal committed to fostering knowledge of the American (defined as the Americas in a global context) past through the study of material culture. Winterthur Portfolio is published three times a year for Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library by the University of Chicago Press.
The ideal candidate is an excellent editor committed to inviting exploration of America’s diverse past and encouraging inclusive scholarship. The successful candidate will be joining the dynamic Academic Programs department and an institution whose mission statement and top strategic priorities include education and collaboration. The book review editor will work as a team member with the executive editor and managing editor to shape the book review section of the journal, edit book reviews to a high standard, and ensure that Portfolio meets editorial deadlines. The book review editor also provides support for communication with WP authors, the editorial board, the University of Chicago Press, outside vendors, and other Winterthur departments. This is a temporary position from February to July with the possibility of renewal.
- Collaborates with a small but energized staff in the Academic Programs Department
- Edits book review submissions for Winterthur Portfolio
- Participates in editorial office meetings to select books for review
- Keeps abreast of new publications in the field of material culture and recommends books for review consideration. Assists in reviewing publisher’s catalogs and in selecting books for consideration for review
- Acts as point of contact for Winterthur Portfolio book review authors
- Coordinates with Academic Programs graduate assistant on communication with authors
- Assists with WP editorial board communications and meetings
- Supports (as time allows) other departmental initiatives such as image sourcing, author correspondence, establishing and upholding timelines and deadlines for Winterthur Portfolio, and preparation of social media to promote WP and other related department activities.
- Demonstrated excellence in editing, project management, and communications (written and in-person)
- Experience with image rights management a plus
- Experience in working with diverse teams, interest in growing professional experience in all these areas
- Experience/interest in cultural non-profits, editing, and publications
- While some of the book review editor’s work can be accomplished offsite, strong preference for candidates who can periodically meet on site for training and meetings
Minimum Qualifications: BA degree and 3 years of relevant experience in editing
Preferred Qualifications: BA or MA degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience in editing
Application: To apply, send a cover letter, resume/CV, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Job #1238 – Book Review Editor in the subject line.
This is a part-time time, hourly (15 hours/week), non-exempt position compensated at $20 per hour.