Job Title: Assistant/Associate Curator of Textiles
Winterthur Museum seeks an experienced museum professional to serve as the Assistant Curator/Associate Curator of Textiles. A key member of the curatorial team, the successful applicant will be a dynamic and innovative textile historian with a deep knowledge of textiles and textile history. Reporting to the Director of Collections, the assistant/associate curator of textiles is responsible for a collection of approximately 20,000 textiles, including printed cottons and linens, samplers and needlework, textile furnishings, floor coverings, and historic clothing.
- Curating Winterthur’s outstanding collection of textiles, including acquisition, cataloging, research, exhibition, and publication.
- Teaching at graduate level for the Winterthur Program in American Material Culture, including coursework and the supervision of theses, internships and independent studies.
- Participation in public programs for both specialist and general audiences.
- Development of relationships with museum donors, collectors, and members.
- Collaborating with conservation colleagues on both preventive care and conservation treatment of the collection.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- MA (or equivalent) in history, textile history, material culture, museum studies or a related field.
- Minimum of two – four years’ relevant curatorial experience.
- Demonstrated scholarly achievement including evidence of original research, exhibition and publication.
- Experience in teaching and lecturing for both specialist and general audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The assistant/associate curator of textiles at Winterthur is a full time position with full benefits. Salary range: $45-$55k
Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, writing sample and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: April 30, 2020.