JOB TITLE: Grounds Management Intern
The Grounds Management Intern will learn about and gain experience handling a range of mowers and turf situations. The intern will also assist with the maintenance of the historic naturalistic design of the garden by learning and practicing good safety and excellent horticultural and turfgrass management techniques, e.g., fertilizing, planting, pruning, snow removal, leaf removal, mowing, spraying pesticides, mulching, weedeating, lawn aeration and seeding. The intern will also learn the cultural requirements and botanical nomenclature of the plants along with the design principles and environmental stewardship used in the Winterthur Garden.
1. Groundskeeping\Estate Maintenance – Assist in performing garden activities primarily working with the turf throughout the estate which includes but is not limited to the performance of all tasks necessary for good health and overall good appearance of the area i.e., mowing, weedeating, fertilizing.
2. Garden & Site Maintenance/Hardscape – Aid in performing work required on paths, roads, structure, signs, walls, benches, irrigation lines and vehicles, safely utilizing Winterthur’s Horticulture Department’s established procedures. Assist as needed with the care of herbaceous perennials, shrubs and small trees; e.g., mulching, pruning, planting and weeding.
3. Training – Participate in safety, equipment and maintenance training. e.g., Lyme disease, back safety and small equipment use videos, tree planting and pruning demonstrations, turf rejuvenation, irrigation systems
4. Aesthetic/Environmental Stewardship – Acquire an understanding of the history and design intent of the Winterthur Estate. Develop awareness toward the principles of conservation, environmental management and land stewardship, and how these principles shape Winterthur’s landscape management philosophy. Employ environmentally sound practices in the field of horticulture/turf grass management.
5. Events Preparation/Programming – Assist with short-term projects including the Kids Garden Program or work on large events associated with the Brown Horticulture Center.
Minimum Experience: 6 months educational and/or field experience in the study of turf grass/horticulture or related field.
Preferred Experience: One year of practical, hands-on experience in environmental science or horticulture, with some time devoted to turf maintenance.
Minimum Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with one semester of completed coursework in environmental science, horticulture, or a related field.
Preferred Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with two years of completed coursework in environmental science, horticulture, or a related field.
1. Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
2. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
3. Ability to operate hand tools and power equipment safely (training provided).
4. Exposure to inclement weather, insects, poison ivy, and pesticides (personal safety training provided).
This is a paid internship. In addition, housing is provided on property.
Deadline for application is February 3, 2020.