JOB TITLE: Horticulture Intern
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The Horticulture Intern will learn and apply excellent horticultural techniques while working one-on-one with horticulture staff in order to preserve and maintain the historic design intent of the Winterthur Garden and Estate.
1. Garden & Estate Maintenance: Assist with all tasks necessary for overall good appearance of an outdoor area and the good health of woody and herbaceous plants therein, including activities such as planting, pruning, fertilizing, mulching, weeding, and mowing.
2. Site Maintenance: Aid in performing work required on paths, roads, structures, signs, walls, benches, irrigation lines, and vehicles, safely utilizing established procedures.
3. Aesthetic & Environmental Stewardship: Acquire an understanding of the history and design intent of the Winterthur Garden and Estate. Develop an awareness of the principles of conservation, environmental management, and land stewardship and how they shape Winterthur’s philosophy towards horticultural practices.
4. Garden Programming: Take opportunities to assist with Winterthur’s children’s gardening program, weekly garden lecture series, and special garden events.
5. Continuing Education: Participate in a variety of trainings, plant identification classes, and field trips in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the wider field of public horticulture.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Experience: Three months of practical, hands-on experience in horticulture or a related field.
Preferred Experience: One year of practical, hands-on experience in horticulture, with some time devoted to the maintenance of gardens.
Minimum Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with one semester of completed coursework in horticulture or a related field.
Preferred Education: Enrolled student or recent graduate of an accredited college or university with two years of completed coursework in horticulture or a related field.
1. Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
2. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
3. Ability to operate hand tools and power equipment safely (training provided).
4. Exposure to inclement weather, insects, poison ivy, and pesticides (personal safety training provided).