JOB TITLE: Director of Visitor Engagement
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director for Visitor Engagement provides leadership and strategic direction for the Visitor Engagement Department including Visitor Services; Research & Interpretation; Family and School Programs, Estate, Museum & Garden Tours; and Exhibitions. Responsibilities include the management of 140+ employees & volunteers, preparation & management of $2 million budget & revenue generation of nearly over $2 million.
1. Direct & lead mission and revenue driven operations of the Visitor Engagement Department providing leadership & overseeing 5 direct reports and a staff of 140 or more.
2. Provide strategic planning. Articulate & implement direction & vision for excellence in the Visitor Experience. This includes overall budget and operations oversight.
3. Participate & collaborate as a high performing senior management member providing input & counsel for decisions affecting Winterthur’s annual and long-term operating plans, including the strategic plan, program priorities, capital needs, human & financial resources.
4. Represent Winterthur to the Board of trustees, staff, the community, & special groups, serving as an ambassador of the institution.
5. Collaborate with community organizations & partner with other institutions to enhance and develop audiences and enrich programming.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Experience: 5 years of management experience in visitor engagement, guest experience, or interpretation.
Preferred Experience: 5-10 years of experience managing a large staff or large events/ programs.
Minimum Education: MA in history, art history, museum studies, material culture, or in a related.
Preferred Education: Advanced studies in museum education or business administration
1. Must have knowledge of museum education practice e.g. developing, organizing & running programs as well as exhibition development.
2. Ability to embrace Winterthur’s vision and link programming to that vision.
3. Ability to demonstrate outstanding written, oral & presentation skills (public speaking).
4. Demonstrated ability to learn and use the latest technology, especially as related to interpretation and web-based learning, and the digital humanities.
5. Knowledge of American Decorative Arts, garden history, or material culture preferred.
6. Demonstrated outstanding leadership ability as well as skills in strategic planning, operations management & budget preparation & management.
7. Proven ability & sensitivity towards our diverse audience and the ability to structure programming to attract, retain & grow those audiences.
8. Demonstrated emotional intelligence, financial acumen and strong management skills.
1. Direct and manage a large staff and budget.
2. Assist with cultivation, solicitation & maintenance of external relationships.
3. Serve on teams & committees including Sr. Management Team
4. Presentations to Board/Committee Members & community.
5. Ability to drive a Winterthur vehicle.
6. Ability to attend evening and weekend functions.
7. Travel within the United States to represent Winterthur.