Winterthur's Conservation staff has written a manual for the public to use in caring for their collections. The manual provides readers with practical advice on how to care for the objects they value and when to consult with a conservation professional. The Winterthur Guide to Caring for Your Collection is available for purchase online.
Tours —Winterthur offers tours of the Conservation Department to individuals the first Wednesday of each month and to groups scheduling a visit through Visitor Services. To reserve a space for you or your group or obtain more information, please call 800.448.3883, 302.888.4600, or TTY 302.888.4907.
Conservation Clinic — Winterthur offers a free conservation clinic each month (September–May) to which the public can bring objects for an assessment of their condition and recommendations on their care. For information or an appointment, please call 302.888.4786. Sorry, no appraisals or authentications are given.
There are many sources of information about Conservation on the web. Winterthur's Conservation staff has gathered many of those they find most useful here.
Finding a Conservator: American Institute for Conservation
Supplies: Preservation Supplies
Training: Graduate and University
- Buffalo State University
- Conservation Center of the Institute of Fine Arts
- Getty program in Archeological and Ethnographic Conservation
- Queen's University
- University of Pennsylvania Graduate Program in Historic Preservation
- Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation
Training: Non-degree Workshops and Course Work
Regional Conservation Centers: Many offer workshops and have posted publications of disaster response resources on their web-sites. Information on these centers and other members is available through the Regional Alliance for Preservation.
- Balboa Art Conservation Center
- Conservation center for Art and Historic Artifacts
- Gerald R. Ford Conservation Center
- Intermuseum Conservation Association
- Midwest Art Conservation Center
- Northeast Documents Conservation Center
- Straus Center for Conservation
- Textile Workshop
- Williamstown Art Conservation Center
- American Institute for Conservation
- Institute of Conservation
- International Institute for Conservation
- Canadian Association of Professional Conservators
Related Organizations with useful websites:
- Canadian Conservation Institute
- Canadian Association for Conservation of Cultural Property
- Getty Conservation Institute
- Heritage Preservation
- International Council of Museums Committee for Conservation
- Library of Congress
- National Archives and Records Administration
- National Association for Preservation Technology and Training
- National Park Service