Members-Only Events and Programming
As a Winterthur Member, you can enjoy the benefits of membership through several opportunities related to Costumes of Downton Abbey this spring. All the events and programs listed below are exclusive to Members. To join Winterthur, visit our membership page. For additional tips on visiting Winterthur during Costumes of Downton Abbey, please visiting our Visiting Downton web page.
Costumes of Downton Abbey Day
NOTE: Rescheduled due to predicted inclement weather.
Monday, March 3, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Monday, March 10, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm SOLD OUT
Contact Membership for further information: 800.448.3883 or email@example.com.
- Guided gallery walks offered throughout the day
- British-inspired cuisine in the cafés
- Members lecture: 11:00am and 2:30pm (Reservations required) "Behind the Scenes of Costumes of Downton Abbey," an informal and illustrated lecture by Tom Savage, director of museum affairs, who will describe the inception of the exhibition followed by Maggie Lidz, estate historian, who will relate the events of her whirlwind London visit to choose the costumes.
Thursday evenings, March 13, 20 & 27 & April 10 & 17
- Light hors d’oeuvres and cash bar
- Member guests welcome with guest pass
- Timed ticket reservations required; please call 800.448.3883 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lecture: "Vintage Inspiration: The Brides of Downton Abbey, featuring Cornelia Powell"
Sunday, May 18
2:30 pm, Copeland Lecture Hall
What were the costume designers' inspirations behind those 1920-styled, shimmering and romantic wedding gowns for Mary and Edith in Downton Abbey®? What would Cora and Violet have worn as fashionable, aristocratic Victorian-era brides? Combining stories of wedding folklore, tiara legends, and royal brides as well as intriguing bits of fashion history (including what Vogue said about a bride’s décolletage), Cornelia Powell, wedding folklorist and bestselling author of The Bride’s Ritual Guide: Look Inside to Find Yourself, presents beautiful images and delightful commentary with behind-the-scenes anecdotes from the Downton Abbey® costumers. Book signing to follow.
Director's Reception Celebrating Costumes of Downton Abbey
Sunday, May 18
4:00-6:00 pm, Galleries Reception Atrium
For Contributor-level, Patron-level, Benefactor-level, and Friends of Winterthur Associate- and Director-Level Members!
Join us for the Director's Reception with guided tours through the Costumes of Downton Abbey exhibition.
Reservations required, call 302-888-4713.