Winterthur's Spring Tour has been a Brandywine tradition for more than 60 years. It was this opportunity to enjoy beautiful flower arrangements in the house, the Conservatory display, and the garden in all its glory, that brought thousands to our first Spring Tour in 1952. We continue the tradition today and encourage you to join us for a tour and walk through the garden. On select days, the garden staff will be on hand to take guests through the marquee displays of H. F. du Pont's garden. Make a day of it and join us for tea in the Visitor Center Cafe, shop in the Museum Store, and enjoy the floral display throughout the house and in the Conservatory.
To purchase tickets to our Spring 2017 garden events, please call 800.448.3883 or purchase online.
Daffodil Day and More!
Saturday, April 22, 10:00 am–3:30 pm
Come celebrate the beauty of the daffodil, enjoy Winterthur's amazing daffodil display, and enjoy crafts and activities that celebrate the beauty of the Winterthur Garden in spring! Henry Francis du Pont’s collection of daffodils is a spectacle this time of year as is the rest of the garden. Join Winterthur staff and volunteers for the day’s events, which will include tours of the garden and the daffodils, a children's daffodil show and Earth Day crafts, and an afternoon tea. Members free. Included with admission.
- Children’s daffodil show –10:00 am, Brown Center (entries accepted through 11:00 am)
- Daffodil Day and Earth Day crafts –10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Brown Center
- Guided walking tour of the garden and daffodils – 11:30 am and 1:30 pm, begins at the Visitor Center Patio (tour will end in garden)
- Self-guided tour of the daffodils – all day, begins at the Visitor Center Patio
- Daffodil Tea – 2:00 pm, Visitor Center Café (Tea not included with admission. Call 302.888.4826 for reservations)
Azaleas & Bluebells
Saturday, May 13, 10:00 am–3:30 pm
Enjoy the spectacle of thousands of azalea blossoms and acres of wildflowers! The day’s events will include tours of the azaleas as well as a specialty sale of azalea plants propagated from specimens at Winterthur. Members free. Included with admission.
- Azalea sale – 10:30 am until sold out, Greenhouse Area
- Guided walking tour of Azalea Woods – 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, begins at the Visitor Center Patio
- Self-guided tour of Azalea Woods – all day, begins at the Visitor Center Patio
Peonies & Primroses
Sunday, May 21, 10:00 am–3:30 pm
Winterthur’s peonies and primroses will be in full flower as we celebrate the late spring display in the Winterthur Garden. The day will start with a lecture given by two longtime Winterthur staff, Director of Interpretation & Estate Historian Jeff Groff and Director of Horticulture & Curator of Plants Linda Eirhart. Afterward, there will be a special walking tour of both the peony and quarry gardens. Members free. Included with admission.
- Lecture: “History of Winterthur’s Peony Garden” – 10:30 am, Copeland Lecture Hall
- Guided walking tour of peonies and primroses – 11:30 am and 1:30 pm, begins at the Visitor Center Patio
- Self-guided tour of peonies and primroses – all day, begins at the Visitor Center Patio